Thursday, January 19, 2012

Low Fat Moist Scones...

I mentioned before that I love scones and also that I am on Weight Watchers and that I love to bake. Today I really wanted a scone so I modified a recipe I had and made some fantastic, low fat, low point orange-chocolate chip scones that are chewy and delicious.

A lot of  people don't like scones because many are dry and not very tasty. These are moist, a bit chewy [at least when warm] and are bursting with flavor.


I made a small recipe, but you could easily double this.

Orange-Chocolate Chip Scones

5 scones, 4 WW+ points; 7 scones, 3 WW+ points [I cut mine into 5 pieces]


Put these ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir to combine:
  • 1/2 C baking flour
  • 1/2 C whole wheat flour
  • 2T white sugar [you may want to save out 1 tsp to sprinkle on top just before baking]
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • zest of one small orange or 1/2 tsp dried orange peel
  • 1/4 C mini chocolate chips
Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the yogurt and stir till it makes a ball. May be sticky.

  • 1/2 C -5/8C fat free vanilla or plain yogurt. {I used organic Trader Joe French Vanilla Yogurt}
Mixture will be sticky. Put some flour on your counter top and turn dough onto floured surface, turning a few times to make it so it isn't so sticky. Form into a ball, then pat down till it is about 7" in diameter, about 1" thick. Cut into 5 or 7 wedges and then place the wedges on a greased baking sheet.  If you reserved a1 tsp of sugar, sprinkle it on now. [I put the dough on the baking sheet, then cut and separate the wedges so they are about 1" apart, no edges touching.]

Bake about 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with hot tea or cold milk.


You can vary this recipe, leaving out the chocolate chips. If you leave out the chocolate chips you can reduce points by 1 per scone. You could add fresh berries, well drained, you could leave out chips and orange peel and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. You could add dried fruit like cherries or cranberries. This basic recipe can be used a lot of ways.

1 comment: