Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cheap Natural Deoderant that really works!

If you are a bit scared by aluminum in your deodorant and want something that really works, is easy to make and inexpensive, I have a recipe for you.

You only need three ingredients:
  • baking soda
  • corn starch
  • coconut oil


I like organic virgin coconut oil because it smells like fresh coconuts, but even the cheap coconut oil found in a plastic container at Wal-Mart in the oil section is fine.

The Basic Recipe is:

6 T coconut oil
4 T baking soda
4 T corn starch

Melt coconut oil in the microwave, stir in other ingredients. Put in a small container and rub on under arms. [May need a bit of water on your fingers when you do this. I find if I put it on right after a shower, I am good for about 24 hours]. This is not an antiperspirant but you do not smell with this deodorant.

If it irritates your skin, you can use the following instead:

Mild Formula:

5 T coconut oil
3T baking soda
6 T cornstarch.

The thing is, the baking soda is mostly
what inhibits bacterial growth, so it is what stops the sweaty smell. And, the baking soda might be irritating. So, you want to use a bit less, but not so much less that it doesn't work.

I found that it was irritating the first couple of weeks, so I alternated with my regular deodorant, but after my body got used to the homemade stuff, it didn't irritate any more. I have been using this for about 6 months. Some folks say it is because it is drawing out a bunch of toxins at first, but I am not sure that is true.

Let me know if you use it, how it works. Personally, I LOVE it.

Whether aluminum is good or bad for me, I am not sure, but I feel better with this all natural product.

Take care,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment